How does CoolSculpting cryogenic fat freezing work? It is a procedure that freezes subcutaneous fat to destroy the fat-storing cells. The frozen cells are then naturally eliminated from the body. CoolSculpting applicators are designed to ‘pinch’ the fat in between the freezing plates, which means that if the fat is not ‘pinched’ then it is unlikely to be treated. This process is also known as Cryolipolysis.


Cryolipolysis is the process of freezing fat cells. This technology is an alternative to liposuction, which produces temporary results. The goal of this procedure is to reduce the volume of fatty bulges without causing any side effects. In a typical procedure, approximately 80% of the fat cells in the treated area are destroyed. The remaining 20% are digested by inflammatory cells and eliminated through the lymphatic system. While the procedure is a relatively simple procedure, it has a number of important components that impact the outcome of the procedure.

First, CoolSculpting uses an applicator to target a specific area of excess fat. The applicator is then used to apply precisely controlled temperatures that freeze the subcutaneous fat but not the overlying tissue. The freezing process causes the “frozen” fat cells to break apart, which in turn makes them useless for storing fat. The “freezing” process triggers a signal to the body’s lymphatic system, which then collects and removes the destroyed cells. This natural process takes a few weeks, and the fat cells are gone!


Depending on the area treated, the results from CoolSculpting can be seen immediately. However, it is not unusual to see a noticeable difference in the treated area within six weeks. Patients should plan on having two treatments to see maximum results. After the treatment, the skin becomes sensitive and swollen, and the process takes anywhere from 35 to 75 minutes. Side effects are minimal and usually mild. While they do not require any recovery time, the procedure can result in a slightly soreness of the skin.

The FDA approved CoolSculpting in 2010, making it a safe, noninvasive, and effective alternative to liposuction. The procedure promises to eliminate bra bulge and love handles. It’s even approved to treat loose skin under the chin, which is notoriously difficult to change with diet and exercise alone. Although there are no definitive studies to back up the claims, experts say that the procedure works. Here, Roostaeian expert Jeannel Astarita talks about the benefits and risks of the procedure.

Cryolipolysis causes paradoxical hyperplasia

After cryolipolysis, local adipose tissue can reappear. This is a rare complication of this minimally invasive treatment, which is performed in outpatient settings. Cryolipolysis is a safe and effective way to remove stubborn fat deposits without surgery. Cryolipolysis has minimal side effects and has been used by thousands of people in the United States. While it is not dangerous, it may cause significant emotional and physical stress.

The adverse effects of CoolSculpting are rare, but they can occur. This unusual side effect occurs when the treatment destroys subcutaneous fat cells. The procedure is effective at reducing the amount of fat in a treated area without damaging the surrounding skin. While paradoxical adipose hyperplasia can occur in any area, it most often affects the abdomen and thighs.

Cost of CoolSculpting

The cost of CoolSculpting treatment is usually lower for areas that are smaller than the lower belly. For example, one treatment can cost around $1,225 for the double chin. If you want to get rid of love handles or your lower belly, you may need as many as eight to 12 sessions. A single treatment may be enough to reduce stubborn pockets of fat, but the total cost can add up fast. CoolSculpting costs are competitive with other noninvasive fat reduction treatments like Vanquish, which can cost $2,000 for two sessions.

There are several factors that influence the cost of CoolSculpting. The cost varies based on the area to be treated, as well as the location and provider. Additional costs will apply if you opt to have multiple areas treated. The cost will also depend on the number of follow-up treatments you’ll need to maintain the results. After your CoolSculpting session, the results will last a lifetime and can even be permanent.